Tuesday, February 4, 2014

And here goes Part 1...

I know I have about a million things to talk about since I've been a terribly undependable blogger... but I'll post pictures this time, so you'll all forgive me :)

HIKING TO GUNDAR POOL (spelling on that is still uncertain)
    Apparently your prayers were all received loud and clear, because we ended up chaperoning less than 10 middle schoolers, and also had double the original number of guides. We set out at 7:00am Saturday morning, and weren't due back until 2:00 in the afternoon. This was a "B" hike, which meant we should expect a longer and steeper hike than the previous "A" hike to Pillar Rock, and it definitely delivered. I've decided that India has a sense of humor by the way.... or at least whoever designed these hikes does. You start off "hiking" right on the roads leading out of Kodaikanal, and although there were some steeper parts, I soon found myself thinking 'what a ripoff to call this a hike!' I mean when we hike in Missoula, we may follow a path, but that's a far cry from literally walking for 2 hours on the road with vehicles zooming by every 2 minutes. Well someone must have had a laugh, because just when I've had enough of walking past buildings and stray dogs, we veer straight off the road right into the surrounding jungle. Forget road, there wasn't even a freaking path for the rest of this hike! I felt like I should have been leading the pack wielding a machete, hacking through brush and tracking wild animals (I did step in bison poop, but I don't think that counts). There was this one section though where the forest opened up and we could see for miles across this valley. It was incredible! Like walking through Jurassic Park. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced, and it absolutely took my breath away. Staring at this completely exotic land, hearing monkeys hollering in the distance, it made me want to see every one of these views. Just travel everywhere and really understand just how big the world is... Don't worry, Mom, I'm still coming home in May. Just dreaming a bit :)
This is one of many "knots" that our guides looked for. For decades, people have been tying knots in the trees along the path to signify to others that they are going the right way.



REPUBLIC DAY
     The next day (Sunday) was Republic Day, a holiday in remembrance of the introduction of the Indian Constitution in 1950. Church on campus was held early to allow for a flag raising ceremony, as well as a semi-traditional Indian dance which was choreographed and preformed by some of the senior class. Not only were the streets flooded with tourists, Republic Day also brought out some of the more flamboyant local fashions. Everyone from students to staff were dressed in their "Sunday best" to celebrate the holiday, and I have never been more thrilled to be at an International School! Not only were there sari's and kurtah's like crazy (all bedazzled, brilliantly colored, and wonderfully original) but some other students chose to don the formal attire of their home countries. Many of the Korean students wore kimonos, and others (obviously more Westernized) showed up in what could be considered prom dresses. Even Mariah and I tried to get into it by wearing kurtahs we had purchased just a couple days before. After all the festivities on campus had ended, we (much to our fellow staff members' dismay) decided to check out the Sunday Market. This is like the Farmer's Market on steroids! So much color, so many people, and more produce than I've ever seen in one place. Everywhere you look someone is sitting cross-legged amongst mounds of potatoes, carrots, or pineapples, insistent that their crop is the best. Despite the mass amounts of people, I love it! I mean how can you not with all that color?!

 The seniors preforming their choreographed dance... some of those saris were BEAUTIFUL!!

Mariah and I in our new Indian clothes!




Some of the middle school students wanted a picture.

The streets leading to the Sunday Market.... this was just trying to get there!


Produce for miles! They sell it by the kilo or half kilo, and weigh it with a scale they hold in the air.... it's a very subjective weighing system.


I promise a continuation in the near future! But I have to start heading home now.... love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment